NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) Texting and playing games on your phone might just be the path to a new job.
As CBS2s Dana Tyler reports, resumes are starting to take a back seat to the latest in online applications.
Meg Nicol is two years out of college and has yet to gain much job experience.
We have a lot to offer companies but its hard when our resumes are so thin, she said. Being able to show someone your raw skills and your raw talent in a very quantitative way is important.
Nicol showed off her potential by playing games on her phone and landed a new job.
Its a way to get at key abilities you might not notice, or be hard to measure, Criteria Corp. CEO Josh Millet said.
Criteria Corp. is a pre-employment testing company. It recently launched Job Flare, an app that uses six different 90 second brain games for candidate assessment.
The games are measuring things like attention to detail, problem solving, critical thinking, and some jobs require quantitative skills as well, Millet said.
Millet says resumes and interviews arent always the best indicator of the person and their real qualifications.
An objective environment where youre judged on your abilities is much fairer to the applicant and its more fun, Millet said.
Launch Pad is another games based application process.
A resume and cover letter, theyre stale, Job Search Ketchum intern Riis Massey-Williams said. On Launch Pad, you can be as vibrant as possible.
The app is used by summer interns at a New York public relations agency.
They introduce themselves in 140 characters, they create a game name and they respond to two fictitious client challenges, Michele Lanza from Ketchum KPIX Job Search Trends said.
Lanza adds this new program allows a broader selection of people a better chance at a coveted position.
It forces people to put more energy into a job application, especially as a student, intern Jade Song said.
At Ladders, a firm that matches professionals with recruiters, CEO Marc Cendella says games boost a candidates profile.
Assessment tests that can accurately and effectively assess the ability of a candidate to do a job are welcome, he said. Theyre welcome in the workforce, theyre welcome in the interview process.
But experts say dont get rid of your resume just yet. Some games will just get you an interview. Youll still need a solid presentation on paper and in person to land the job youre after.
- CogniFit's Free Brain Games-Play Today. - March 6th, 2019
- Fun Brain Games | Brain Games for Adults | Games.lol - March 2nd, 2019
- Brain Games - Fun Games That Train Your Mind - November 11th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Brain Games - The Game - Based on the Emmy ... - October 17th, 2018
- Brain Games: Test Your Memory and Attention Span - September 14th, 2018
- Brain Games (National Geographic) - Wikipedia - July 14th, 2018
- Brain Games | Free Brain Games to Play Online - July 11th, 2018
- CNN | All Free Brain Games - September 6th, 2017
- The Next Step in Treating Gait and Walking Functions in Older Adults - Markets Insider - August 31st, 2017
- Competition heats up with 'Senior Brain Games' - WBBJ-TV - August 26th, 2017
- Flinn Foundation bioscience winners range from bug zappers to brain games - East Valley Tribune - August 25th, 2017
- Five of the Best Brain Game apps - Blast - August 23rd, 2017
- This Is The Only Type Of Brain Training That Works, According To Science - Fast Company - August 21st, 2017
- FSU institute contributes to Global Council on Brain Health recommendations - Florida State News - August 19th, 2017
- Are Prescription Video Games The Next Frontier In Medicine? - BOSS Magazine - August 11th, 2017
- Yoga May Boost Aging Brains - Carlisle Sentinel - August 10th, 2017
- 2017 Tennessee Senior Brain Games call for teams: time to compete! - The Tomahawk - August 5th, 2017
- 2017 Tennessee Senior Brain Games call for teams: Time to compete! - Winchester Herald Chronicle - August 4th, 2017
- How to keep your brain sharp in older age - Medical Xpress - August 4th, 2017
- 49ers' love of game versus reality of research - SFGate - August 4th, 2017
- 40 things you might not know about Tom Brady - Boston.com - August 3rd, 2017
- Report challenges claims of cognitive benefits of online brain ... - CBS News - July 31st, 2017
- 49ers' Joe Staley, Brian Hoyer, Kyle Juszczyk reflect on latest CTE study - ESPN (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Brain Trauma Scientists Turn Their Attention to Soccer - WIRED - July 31st, 2017
- Brain-training games don't really train brains, a new study suggests - The Sydney Morning Herald - July 13th, 2017
- Column: Fitness isn't all in your head, it just starts there - Stillwater Gazette - July 12th, 2017
- New study takes a look at impact of brain games on patients with dementia - WTNH Connecticut News (press release) - July 11th, 2017
- Brain Games Don't Work - Fortune - July 11th, 2017
- Data SheetTuesday, July 11, 2017 - Fortune - July 11th, 2017
- Brain games popular at the Leeton library - The Irrigator - June 29th, 2017
- 3 steps that may boost brain health in old age - LaSalle News Tribune - June 26th, 2017
- Study Finds Good Reason to Keep Having Sex Over 50 - Newser - June 25th, 2017
- Library link - So Md News (subscription) - June 23rd, 2017
- Senior Center News: June 22 - The Wilton Bulletin - June 23rd, 2017
- Sex might boost brain health in old age: Study - Toronto Sun - June 23rd, 2017
- How to Keep your Brain Sharp - HuffPost - June 21st, 2017
- Mobile gaming sessions down 10 percent year-over-year, but ... - TechCrunch - June 21st, 2017
- Doing puzzles and playing brain games won't make you smarter - Star2.com - June 20th, 2017
- Brain Power - BQ Live - June 19th, 2017
- You Asked: How Can I Use More of My Brain? - TIME - June 16th, 2017
- Summer fun good for the brain - Chicago Parent - June 7th, 2017
- Chicago Fights Summer 'Brain Drain' With Superhero Science - Chicago Tonight | WTTW - June 7th, 2017
- Local kids enjoy Pelicans junior camp - Opelousas Daily World - June 1st, 2017
- The Dreaded Summer Slide and How to Tackle It - Education World - June 1st, 2017
- Mukwonago Community Library news: June 4, 2017 - Lake Country Now - May 31st, 2017
- No, playing brain games won't make you smarter they're just a bit ... - South China Morning Post - May 28th, 2017
- Brain Games - Wikipedia - May 27th, 2017
- From bug zappers to brain games: Meet some Flinn Foundation bioscience winners - Cronkite News - May 25th, 2017
- Ready for the Brain Games championship round - Times-Mail (subscription) - May 25th, 2017
- BRAIN GAMES: 5 local teams headed to Odyssey of the Mind World Finals - Press & Sun-Bulletin - May 23rd, 2017
- Talk in Albany examines dementia, importance of brain exercises - East Bay Times - May 23rd, 2017
- Games reward brains, vigor - The Advocate - May 18th, 2017
- This video game could literally train our brains to resist symptoms of disease - Mic - May 18th, 2017
- Brain Games XVI under way - Times-Mail (subscription) - May 17th, 2017
- Brain Games And Breakthroughs In Call Center Automation - Forbes - May 17th, 2017
- No evidence that playing 'brain games' make you smarter - Digital Journal - May 6th, 2017
- The Rockwood Files - A weekend of brain games - Cedar County Republican (subscription) - May 6th, 2017
- The Disappointing Reason Those Brain-Training Apps Might Not Work - SheKnows.com - April 27th, 2017
- Cognitive Benefits of Exercise Outshine Brain-Training Games - Psychology Today (blog) - April 26th, 2017
- Brain Training Games Are a Waste of Time - Men's Journal - April 25th, 2017
- Brain Games: The Science of Coaching - Sports On Earth - April 24th, 2017
- Do brain games make you smarter, or just better at brain games? - Uncommon Wisdom Daily - April 22nd, 2017
- Just when you thought brain games made you smarter - The Siasat Daily - April 22nd, 2017
- No Gain in Brain Games - Anti Aging News - April 21st, 2017
- Brain Games May Not Boost Your Productivity After all - Indiatimes ... - Indiatimes.com - April 21st, 2017
- Just when you thought brain games made you smarter - Business Standard - April 21st, 2017
- Brain games may not make you smarter: Study - Mathrubhumi English - April 20th, 2017
- Matt Del Vecchio: Keeping fit physically and mentally - The Suburban Newspaper - April 19th, 2017
- What my 'Entrepreneur' self would tell my 'Corporate' self - Huffington Post - April 18th, 2017
- Actually, brain games don't make you smarter: study - New York Daily News - April 18th, 2017
- You're middle-aged this is the perfect time to work on staying healthy - Washington Post - April 15th, 2017
- Brain Games - Play Yourself Smarter - Agame.com - April 13th, 2017
- 'Same-old same-old' ages the brain. Don't let it - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - April 9th, 2017
- Is Successful Brain Training Fake News?: Neurologists Parse Out the Messaging for Patients - LWW Journals - April 6th, 2017
- CNN 10 - April 5, 2017 - CNN - April 5th, 2017
- Brain Games: Event raises funds for LVEP - Martinsburg Journal - April 3rd, 2017
- Upcoming events at the Jenks Center - Wicked Local Winchester - March 30th, 2017
- Video Games Can Help Ease Pain for People with MS - Healthline - March 26th, 2017
- Senior Scene: From the Office: Take steps now to protect future brain health - Oneonta Daily Star - March 25th, 2017
- Facebook Live with Nat Geo's Brain Games host Jason Silva at 4PM ET - Blastr - March 24th, 2017