Computer programmers are being offered a $1 million prize for inventing a system to crack a simple chess puzzle.
The eight queens puzzle, which has been solved by humans on a regular chess board, sends computer programmes into meltdown.
A team of St Andrews academics concluded that devising a computer programme to solve the problem could reap immense rewards.
In a paper published in the Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, Professsor Ian Gent from the universitys school of computer science said it could be the key to tightening up internet security.
If you could write a computer programme that could solve the problem really fast, you could adapt it to solve many of the most important problems that affect us all daily, he said.
This includes trivial challenges like working out the largest group of your Facebook friends who dont know each other, or very important ones like cracking the codes that keep all our online transactions safe.
The Clay Mathematics Institute in America has offered a $1 million reward for whoever solves a similar conundrum called the P vs NP Problem.
Professor Gent and his colleagues, Dr Peter Nightingale and Dr Christopher Jefferson, first became intrigued by the puzzle after a friend challenged Professor Gent to solve it on Facebook.
The team found that when the chess board reached 1000 squares by 1000, computer programmes could no longer cope with the vast number of options and sunk into a potentially eternal struggle akin to the fictional super computer Deep Thought in Douglas Adams Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, which took seven and a half million years to provide an answer to the meaning of everything.
Dr Nightingale said: In practice, nobody has ever come close to writing a programme that can solve the problem quickly.
So what our research has shown is that, for all practical purposes, it cant be done.
Dr Jefferson added: There is a $1m prize for anyone who can prove whether or not the queens puzzle can be solved quickly so the rewards are high.
Devised in 1850, the queens puzzle originally challenged a player to place eight queens on a standard chessboard so that no two queens could attack each other.
This means putting one queen in each row, so that no two queens are in the same column, and no two queens in the same diagonal (see below).
There is more than one potential solution.
The reason such problems are so difficult for computer programmes is that there are so many options to consider that it can take many years due to a process of backtracking an algorithm used in programming where every possible option is considered and then backed away from until the correct solution is found.
Chess has long provided the source for puzzles such as the traditional fable of the servant who, when asked to choose a reward by his king, asked for one grain of rice to be placed on the first square of a standard 88 chessboard, doubled in the next and so on until it was found there was not enough rice in the entire world.
The fable indicates the huge numbers involved when using just a standard sized chess board. When the board size increases the numbers become vast.
See the article here:
Challenge to end stalemate over $1 million maths puzzle – The Courier
- Chess Puzzle of the Day - Can You Solve It? - October 12th, 2018
- Free Puzzle Games - Play Games For Free - September 30th, 2018
- Play Free Puzzle Games Online - 4J.Com - September 29th, 2018
- Free Jigsaw Puzzles - Jigsaw Puzzle Games at ... - September 29th, 2018
- Empty Room Escape - Free Online Puzzle Games from AddictingGames - August 21st, 2018
- Puzzle Games | Disney LOL - August 21st, 2018
- Play Crossword | Puzzles USA Today - August 21st, 2018
- Simply Jigsaw - Free online games at Gamesgames.com - August 2nd, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Games at Royalgames.com - July 28th, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Free Download - GameTop - July 14th, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Free Online Puzzle Games - July 3rd, 2018
- Play Free Puzzles Games - Super Games - October 4th, 2017
- 'Wayout' Is the Next Colorful Minimalistic Puzzle Title From Dropout Games, and Is in Need of Beta Testers - Touch Arcade - September 7th, 2017
- Nintendo Switch Adds Six New Games Today - GameSpot - September 7th, 2017
- Settling in and exploring new avenues: Gram Games on moving from a small studio to a mid-size company - Pocket Gamer.Biz - September 7th, 2017
- 'Octopuz' Is a Memory Puzzle Game Made by a 13-Year-Old - Touch Arcade - September 6th, 2017
- The Guides Axiom Review: Bewilderingly Delightful - Gamezebo - September 6th, 2017
- Death Squared Review Drop In, Drop Out - DualShockers - September 6th, 2017
- 'Fed up with fantasies for male teenagers': fixing the depiction of women in games - The Guardian - September 6th, 2017
- Gamers Offered a Treasure Trove of Classic, Puzzle, and Strategy Free Games: MyRealGames Announces Latest ... - Canada NewsWire (press release) - September 6th, 2017
- Join The Knight Watch, a frenetic puzzle game for iPhone... and Apple Watch ! - Develop - September 6th, 2017
- CAPCOM announces Puzzle Fighter, a new puzzle game with ... - Android Community - September 6th, 2017
- Last Day of June Is Beautiful, Touching And Emotionally Draining - Kotaku - September 5th, 2017
- Knack 2 review - Polygon - September 5th, 2017
- Go head-to-head in Capcom's new free 'Puzzle Fighter' mobile game - Digital Trends - September 5th, 2017
- Steam's rules about adult content continue to baffle - PC Gamer - September 5th, 2017
- 'Tiny Bubbles' Is a Puzzle Game That's Way More in Depth Than We Were Expecting at PAX - Touch Arcade - September 3rd, 2017
- Review: The Bridge - Nintendo Life - September 3rd, 2017
- Pax West 2017 The Gardens Between - DVS Gaming (registration) (blog) - September 2nd, 2017
- Capcom is finally releasing a new Puzzle Fighter game, and it's coming to Android later this year - Android Police - September 1st, 2017
- Can you solve it? Riddles inspired by card tricks - The Guardian - September 1st, 2017
- 'Simple' chess puzzle holds key to $1m prize - Phys.Org - September 1st, 2017
- The Puzzles of Marcel Duchamp - Foyles - September 1st, 2017
- Did you solve it? Riddles inspired by card tricks - The Guardian - September 1st, 2017
- Capcom's 'Puzzle Fighter' Brings the Classic Game to Mobile - Touch Arcade - September 1st, 2017
- David Darling's Kwalee launches addictive puzzle game TENS! - Develop - September 1st, 2017
- Hard Rock teams up with game studio to make mobile puzzle-match game - VentureBeat - August 31st, 2017
- Sanrio's Hello Kitty & Friends has become a puzzle game? - Develop - August 30th, 2017
- Gram Games' puzzle masters unleash Merge Town | GamesBeat ... - VentureBeat - August 30th, 2017
- Absurd Puzzle Adventure Game Maize Coming to PS4 and Xbox One in September - DualShockers - August 30th, 2017
- Cyan partners with Legendary Pictures to add backstory to Obduction - VentureBeat - August 29th, 2017
- This New Version of Solitaire Is Being Released on Floppy Disks - Motherboard - August 29th, 2017
- Google Play Indie Games Festival unveils 20 finalists - VentureBeat - August 29th, 2017
- What Makes a Great Tutorial? - IGN - August 28th, 2017
- Gamescom 2017: Hands on with Transference, a decidedly unsettling VR puzzle game - Critical Hit - August 28th, 2017
- Acclaimed VR Puzzle Game 'FORM' Now Available for Oculus Rift - Road to VR - August 26th, 2017
- The Witness and Obduction Creators Come Together to Talk Game Design - PlayStation LifeStyle - August 26th, 2017
- Panda Pop passes 100 million users as Jam City readies for an IPO - TechCrunch - August 25th, 2017
- Get to know: Rocketship Park, Ontario-based makers of the addictive new puzzle game Block Droppin' - Financial Post - August 25th, 2017
- Nintendo Switch Eshop Adds Three New Games Today - GameSpot - August 25th, 2017
- Hands-On: Xing The Land Beyond Is An Atmospheric VR Puzzle Game About The Afterlife - UploadVR - August 23rd, 2017
- Can YOU name these classic computer games? Use the photo clues to name all 22 favourites - The Sun - August 22nd, 2017
- ChromaGun Review Color Me Happy - DualShockers - August 22nd, 2017
- 5 new restaurants and retailers coming to The Greene - Dayton Daily News - August 21st, 2017
- Video Game News Recap - GeekDad (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Tiny Bubbles Coming Soon - DVS Gaming (registration) (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Game Day: Pigeon Wings - MacStories - August 19th, 2017
- Video game review: If you're ready for a puzzle, then 'The Room 3' delivers - The Register-Guard - August 18th, 2017
- Maze Walk VR Review - Gearbrain (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Evergrow for iPhone proves matching-based puzzle games are actually super exciting - Macworld - August 18th, 2017
- This stick-figure Western is one of the funniest games in ages - A.V. Club - August 18th, 2017
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy review for good and bad, it's not Nathan Drake - VentureBeat - August 17th, 2017
- Tri-town libraries announce upcoming programs - Wicked Local Marion - August 17th, 2017
- 'Cityglitch' Review - Defeat Glitches and Save Cities in This Challenging Puzzler - Touch Arcade - August 17th, 2017
- Game review: 'Black the Fall,' escape the iron fist - Reading Eagle - August 17th, 2017
- The 'Dungeon Raid' Eulogy - The Best 32-Bit Games That Will Die With iOS 11 - Touch Arcade - August 16th, 2017
- 'Follow.trail' Review - Find Your Trail to Victory and Fun - Touch Arcade - August 15th, 2017
- Ironcast Review Nintendo Switch Meets Steampunk - DualShockers - August 15th, 2017
- The Initiate (PC) REVIEW Honey, Where's Home? - Cultured Vultures - August 13th, 2017
- Watch and win as we livestream Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign tonight on Mixer [Ended] - Windows Central - August 13th, 2017
- 'noded' Review - An Attractive Minimalist Puzzler That's Sometimes Tough to Figure Out - Touch Arcade - August 11th, 2017
- Master the space-time continuum in Causality, a unique puzzle game for iPhone - Macworld - August 11th, 2017
- Xbox Indie Creators Program goes live today with first wave of games - Digital Trends - August 11th, 2017
- Puzzle | Hidden objects games - August 11th, 2017
- First Xbox Live Creators Program Games are Now Available - Thurrott.com (blog) - August 11th, 2017
- RPG Puzzle Co-Op Title SwapQuest Console and PC Release Date Revealed with New Gameplay Trailer - DualShockers - August 11th, 2017
- Grab some cracking Android titles in this month's Humble Mobile Bundle: Puzzles Critical Hits - Pocket Gamer - August 11th, 2017
- Spiral Splatter, a brain-bending arcade puzzle game Released on Steam! - Develop - August 10th, 2017
- Video Games May Affect The Brain Differently, Depending On What You Play - NPR - August 10th, 2017
- Road Draw is an interesting spin on driving puzzles (Review) - AndroidGuys - August 10th, 2017