Puzzle games are something that can either be done incredibly well or monstrously terrible. Theres usually no in between. You either make a challenging puzzle game that can engage the player for hours upon hours, or you make a game thats tedious, repetitive, and boring. So many games fall in line with the latter; its rare to find a truly great puzzle game nowadays. That being said, I am happy to say that not only is ChromaGun one of the most fun puzzle games ever created, but it may just be one of my favorite games of the year.
The premise behind ChromaGun is simple: youre tasked with moving droids around rooms and objects in order to progress through the level. In order to do so, youll need to use your gun to paint walls, droids, or both certain colors in order to activate pads and other devices. For example, a blue droid is going to be attracted to a blue section of a wall.
Players are also able to mix colors a feature which (Im sure that everyone who has passed kindergarten will know) will create brand new colors. If I want a droid to stand on top of a pad that had a green wall behind it, then I know to shoot the droid with both blue and yellow paint. This comes with a twist however: if you mix too many colors, then the wall or droid will become grey, which makes it lose its attraction properties.
Right off the bat, the game should be commended strictly on the fact that it brings something creative and fresh to the board. While I dont mind when games, or any of type of media take inspiration from something else, Im always impressed when a title does something original and man, does ChromaGun do just that. I personally have not seen a title with such a unique gameplay mechanic.
Not only that, but the puzzles themselves are satisfyingly difficult. I sat staring at one puzzle for an hour, simply trying to figure out how to get a certain WorkerDroid from one side of a room to the other, and I wasnt frustrated at all, which, in my opinion, is key to making a good puzzle game. I knew the answer was right in front of me, I just couldnt see it.
The developer Pixel Maniacs likes to make fun of the fact that ChromaGun is similar to the Portal franchise but, honestly, the only thing comparable to Portal is the games setting, which is a testing facility. Beyond that, the game is incredibly unique and stands on its own. In fact, the puzzles arent even remotely similar to the ones found in Valves popular series.
Right off the bat, the game should be commended strictly on the fact that it brings something creative and fresh to the board.
The story itself can be a bit lackluster at times, however the lines of dialogue that play through the speakers were enough to keep me entertained during my time with the game. If ChromaGun were to ever get a sequel, I love to see more of an emphasis on a narrative, but the story presented in this game is fine. Your character doesnt have a name, but honestly, you dont really need to know.
The controls themselves are intuitive as well. When it comes to a puzzle game, the simpler, the better. Changing colors is easy, only requiring the push of one of the face buttons. In fact, the lightbar on the DualShock 4 will change depending on what color your gun is set to, which I found incredibly helpful at times.
My only complaint is that on the PlayStation 4 there seemed to be a small delay that occurred when you moved the right stick versus when the character on screen turns his body. Its a very small problem, and its incredibly easy to get used to, however its worth mentioning.
In terms of music, there is so little in the game that its almost not even worth mentioning. Aside from a bit of elevator-type music, youre time in ChromaGun is going to be a quiet one.
Theres not much I didnt like about the game, however theres one major thing thats worth noting: its length. The game clocks in somewhere between six and seven hours, which may be a good length for some people who get easily stressed by puzzles, however I wanted more to do than just the normal levels.
This leads me to my next point, the game is unfortunately hindered by a lack of community maps in the PlayStation 4 version. Now, the Steam version of ChromaGun already has this feature, adding substantial replayability to this budget title. As far as Ive seen there has been no mention about whether or not this feature will come to consoles, which greatly disappoints me. I hope that Pixel Maniacs decides to add this feature into the console versions sometime soon, because I could play this game for months if it did.
The game clocks in somewhere between six and seven hours, which may be a good length for some people who get easily stressed by puzzles, however I wanted more to do than just the normal levels.
ChromaGun is the absolute standard of a puzzle game done right. While its not on the same level as Portal 2 or The Witness, it is an absolutely solid puzzle game. Its fun, its challenging, and its not frustrating, which is something that a lot of puzzle games do wrong. It is an absolutely terrific piece of art that deserves to be played by anyone that even remotely enjoys puzzle games. At $14.99, youll be getting the game for a steal, and I would absolutely recommend it at that price. While the game may fall a bit short in the story and replayability department, there is no denying that ChromaGun is one of the finer games in pool of bad puzzle games.
ChromaGun Review Color Me Happy – DualShockers
- PUZZLE GAMES Online - Play Free Puzzle Games at Poki.com! - May 3rd, 2019
- Puzzle Games - Build Your Brain - Agame.com - April 24th, 2019
- Jigsaw Puzzle Games| Free Online Puzzles for Kids and ... - April 9th, 2019
- Page 5 of Puzzle games, Free puzzle games - Dailygames.com - April 3rd, 2019
- Amazon Best Sellers: Best Puzzles - April 3rd, 2019
- Puzzle Games - Dailygames.com - April 3rd, 2019
- Numbers 0-10 Puzzle Game | Game | Education.com - April 3rd, 2019
- Braingle Brain Teasers, Puzzles, Riddles, Trivia and Games - April 3rd, 2019
- The Brain Game 2 - Free online games at Gamesgames.com - April 2nd, 2019
- Free puzzle games for kids - play online - March 16th, 2019
- Play FREE Online Puzzle Games at FreeKI Games - March 16th, 2019
- Home | Labyrinth Games & Puzzles - February 1st, 2019
- Amazon.com: Puzzles: Toys & Games: Jigsaw Puzzles, Brain ... - January 29th, 2019
- The Impossible Quiz - Free Online Puzzle Games from ... - January 8th, 2019
- Free Puzzle Games - Download Word Puzzle, Jigsaw Puzzle ... - December 20th, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Free Online Puzzle Games - Page 5 - November 27th, 2018
- Free Online Jigsaw Puzzles & Games | Play for Free - November 27th, 2018
- Chess Puzzle of the Day - Can You Solve It? - October 12th, 2018
- Free Puzzle Games - Play Games For Free - September 30th, 2018
- Play Free Puzzle Games Online - 4J.Com - September 29th, 2018
- Free Jigsaw Puzzles - Jigsaw Puzzle Games at ... - September 29th, 2018
- Empty Room Escape - Free Online Puzzle Games from AddictingGames - August 21st, 2018
- Puzzle Games | Disney LOL - August 21st, 2018
- Play Crossword | Puzzles USA Today - August 21st, 2018
- Simply Jigsaw - Free online games at Gamesgames.com - August 2nd, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Games at Royalgames.com - July 28th, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Free Download - GameTop - July 14th, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Free Online Puzzle Games - July 3rd, 2018
- Play Free Puzzles Games - Super Games - October 4th, 2017
- 'Wayout' Is the Next Colorful Minimalistic Puzzle Title From Dropout Games, and Is in Need of Beta Testers - Touch Arcade - September 7th, 2017
- Nintendo Switch Adds Six New Games Today - GameSpot - September 7th, 2017
- Settling in and exploring new avenues: Gram Games on moving from a small studio to a mid-size company - Pocket Gamer.Biz - September 7th, 2017
- 'Octopuz' Is a Memory Puzzle Game Made by a 13-Year-Old - Touch Arcade - September 6th, 2017
- The Guides Axiom Review: Bewilderingly Delightful - Gamezebo - September 6th, 2017
- Death Squared Review Drop In, Drop Out - DualShockers - September 6th, 2017
- 'Fed up with fantasies for male teenagers': fixing the depiction of women in games - The Guardian - September 6th, 2017
- Gamers Offered a Treasure Trove of Classic, Puzzle, and Strategy Free Games: MyRealGames Announces Latest ... - Canada NewsWire (press release) - September 6th, 2017
- Join The Knight Watch, a frenetic puzzle game for iPhone... and Apple Watch ! - Develop - September 6th, 2017
- CAPCOM announces Puzzle Fighter, a new puzzle game with ... - Android Community - September 6th, 2017
- Last Day of June Is Beautiful, Touching And Emotionally Draining - Kotaku - September 5th, 2017
- Knack 2 review - Polygon - September 5th, 2017
- Go head-to-head in Capcom's new free 'Puzzle Fighter' mobile game - Digital Trends - September 5th, 2017
- Steam's rules about adult content continue to baffle - PC Gamer - September 5th, 2017
- 'Tiny Bubbles' Is a Puzzle Game That's Way More in Depth Than We Were Expecting at PAX - Touch Arcade - September 3rd, 2017
- Review: The Bridge - Nintendo Life - September 3rd, 2017
- Pax West 2017 The Gardens Between - DVS Gaming (registration) (blog) - September 2nd, 2017
- Capcom is finally releasing a new Puzzle Fighter game, and it's coming to Android later this year - Android Police - September 1st, 2017
- Can you solve it? Riddles inspired by card tricks - The Guardian - September 1st, 2017
- Challenge to end stalemate over $1 million maths puzzle - The Courier - September 1st, 2017
- 'Simple' chess puzzle holds key to $1m prize - Phys.Org - September 1st, 2017
- The Puzzles of Marcel Duchamp - Foyles - September 1st, 2017
- Did you solve it? Riddles inspired by card tricks - The Guardian - September 1st, 2017
- Capcom's 'Puzzle Fighter' Brings the Classic Game to Mobile - Touch Arcade - September 1st, 2017
- David Darling's Kwalee launches addictive puzzle game TENS! - Develop - September 1st, 2017
- Hard Rock teams up with game studio to make mobile puzzle-match game - VentureBeat - August 31st, 2017
- Sanrio's Hello Kitty & Friends has become a puzzle game? - Develop - August 30th, 2017
- Gram Games' puzzle masters unleash Merge Town | GamesBeat ... - VentureBeat - August 30th, 2017
- Absurd Puzzle Adventure Game Maize Coming to PS4 and Xbox One in September - DualShockers - August 30th, 2017
- Cyan partners with Legendary Pictures to add backstory to Obduction - VentureBeat - August 29th, 2017
- This New Version of Solitaire Is Being Released on Floppy Disks - Motherboard - August 29th, 2017
- Google Play Indie Games Festival unveils 20 finalists - VentureBeat - August 29th, 2017
- What Makes a Great Tutorial? - IGN - August 28th, 2017
- Gamescom 2017: Hands on with Transference, a decidedly unsettling VR puzzle game - Critical Hit - August 28th, 2017
- Acclaimed VR Puzzle Game 'FORM' Now Available for Oculus Rift - Road to VR - August 26th, 2017
- The Witness and Obduction Creators Come Together to Talk Game Design - PlayStation LifeStyle - August 26th, 2017
- Panda Pop passes 100 million users as Jam City readies for an IPO - TechCrunch - August 25th, 2017
- Get to know: Rocketship Park, Ontario-based makers of the addictive new puzzle game Block Droppin' - Financial Post - August 25th, 2017
- Nintendo Switch Eshop Adds Three New Games Today - GameSpot - August 25th, 2017
- Hands-On: Xing The Land Beyond Is An Atmospheric VR Puzzle Game About The Afterlife - UploadVR - August 23rd, 2017
- Can YOU name these classic computer games? Use the photo clues to name all 22 favourites - The Sun - August 22nd, 2017
- 5 new restaurants and retailers coming to The Greene - Dayton Daily News - August 21st, 2017
- Video Game News Recap - GeekDad (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Tiny Bubbles Coming Soon - DVS Gaming (registration) (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Game Day: Pigeon Wings - MacStories - August 19th, 2017
- Video game review: If you're ready for a puzzle, then 'The Room 3' delivers - The Register-Guard - August 18th, 2017
- Maze Walk VR Review - Gearbrain (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Evergrow for iPhone proves matching-based puzzle games are actually super exciting - Macworld - August 18th, 2017
- This stick-figure Western is one of the funniest games in ages - A.V. Club - August 18th, 2017
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy review for good and bad, it's not Nathan Drake - VentureBeat - August 17th, 2017
- Tri-town libraries announce upcoming programs - Wicked Local Marion - August 17th, 2017