On my puzzle blog earlier today I set the following three riddles, here reprinted with the answers.
The ideas all come from card tricks. In the comments section you might want to suggest the best way to perform card tricks that are based on these mathematical patterns.
A hustler and a chess grandmaster are playing the following game. All the pieces from a chess set are in a box. The two participants take turns reaching into the box without looking, picking out two pieces at a time and placing them onto the table. If the two pieces are white, the grandmaster gets a point. If the two pieces are black, the hustler gets a point. If the colours dont match, no one gets a point. They will take turns removing pairs until the box is empty. If, exactly halfway through the game, the score is 4-2 in favour of the grandmaster, who will ultimately win the game and by how many points?
The game will always be a draw. The number of black and white pieces is the same, so if two white pieces are taken from the box, the box will have two more black pieces than white ones, so there must be a turn later in the game in which two black pieces are taken, levelling out the scores. If the score is 4-2, at least 8 white have been taken and 4 black, meaning that the box has 4 more black in it than white, since when one of each colour is taken the colour surplus does not change. If the box has 4 more black pieces than white pieces, this guarantees two points for the hustler, meaning the final score will be 4-4, or a higher scoring draw.
A boulder falls onto a mountain road, temporarily blocking access to a tunnel. A few drivers get out of their cars to help move the boulder. After they successfully clear the entrance to the tunnel, they notice some unusual traffic has accumulated on the two-lane road behind them. The traffic jam consists of eighteen white cars and eighteen black cars. The first car in the left lane is white and the first car in the right lane is black. The colours of the cars behind them in each lane alternate perfectly.
When passing through the narrow tunnel, the two lanes of traffic merge into one, and when they come out the other side the single lane branches to two toll booths. Assuming that the first car through the tunnel is a black car and the last car through is a white car, and that the cars reach the toll booth in pairs meaning that the first two cars exit together, then the next two exit together, and so on what is the greatest possible number of exiting pairs that will match in colour?
Imagine one lane is BWBWBW… and the other is WBWBWB… If the first car through the tunnel is a B, then car behind is either the second car in the first lane or the first car in the second lane, which is always a W. These two cars will exit together and do not match in colour.
The third car through the tunnel is either a W or a B. If it was a W, then this means that two lanes of remaining cars BOTH have a B at the front. (Sketch the order of the lanes down and cross them out as they go through the tunnel and you will see the pattern emerge). And if both have a B in the front, the fourth car must be a B. So, again, when the third and fourth cars exit together they will not match in colour. If the third car is a B, then the two lanes of cars must both have a W at the front, and so on…
The process of the two lines of traffic merging into one is the same as merging two sets of cards into one. The order of the cards within each set do not change relative to each other, and this produces the nice effect that when you count them out in twos from one end of the pack, you always get one of each colour.
Family Bike Race
At the Froome family reunion, five sets of twins from five different generations decide to have a bike race, with two teams and one sibling from each set of twins on each team. Each team sets off with all five cyclists in a line behind their captain. At any point in the race, the last person in the line can cycle to the front of the line to become the new captain. All five team members must cross the finish line to complete the race.
Both teams line up in age order but Team A starts the race with a little kid as their captain and Team B starts the race with an elderly woman as their captain. During the course of the race, the captains change six times between the two teams. When the teams cross the finish line, what are the odds that their captains will be the same age?
100 per cent. Lets call the five sets of twins in age ascending order 1A and 1B, 2A and 2B, 3A and 3B, 4A and 4B and 5A and 5B.
So, Team A starts in this order 1A 2A 3A 4A 5A
Team B starts 5B 4B 3B 2B 1B
The last person replaces the first person six times. So either one team does it six times and the other zero, or five times and one time, or four and two, or three and three. You will see that in each case, the leaders of the teams are the same set of twins.
For example, lets say Team A replaces its leader once. The order will then be 5A 1A 2A 3A 4A. And lets say Team B replaces its leader five times. Which puts them back to the starting formation 5B 4B 3B 2B 1B. Twins 5A and 5B – who have the same age! – are the finishing captains for their teams.
I hope you enjoyed these puzzles. Thanks again to Adam Rubin from the magical website Art of Play.
My latest book is out this week! Football School Season 2 is the follow-up to Football School, a book series aimed at 7-12-year-olds which TalkSPORT called a Horrible Histories for football. The new book explains why every stadium has a vomitory, the physics of why footballs are NOT round and which international goalkeeper used to pee on the pitch before penalty shoot-outs. As well as lots of maths, English, history, geography and more. The perfect gift for a football-mad boy or girl! More info at footballschool.co.
I set a puzzle here every two weeks on a Monday. Send me your email if you want me to alert you each time I post a new one. Im always on the look-out for great puzzles. If you would like to suggest one, email me.
Read the original:
Did you solve it? Riddles inspired by card tricks – The Guardian
- The Impossible Quiz - Free Online Puzzle Games from ... - January 8th, 2019
- Free Puzzle Games - Download Word Puzzle, Jigsaw Puzzle ... - December 20th, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Free Online Puzzle Games - Page 5 - November 27th, 2018
- Free Online Jigsaw Puzzles & Games | Play for Free - November 27th, 2018
- Chess Puzzle of the Day - Can You Solve It? - October 12th, 2018
- Free Puzzle Games - Play Games For Free - September 30th, 2018
- Play Free Puzzle Games Online - 4J.Com - September 29th, 2018
- Free Jigsaw Puzzles - Jigsaw Puzzle Games at ... - September 29th, 2018
- Empty Room Escape - Free Online Puzzle Games from AddictingGames - August 21st, 2018
- Puzzle Games | Disney LOL - August 21st, 2018
- Play Crossword | Puzzles USA Today - August 21st, 2018
- Simply Jigsaw - Free online games at Gamesgames.com - August 2nd, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Games at Royalgames.com - July 28th, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Free Download - GameTop - July 14th, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Free Online Puzzle Games - July 3rd, 2018
- Play Free Puzzles Games - Super Games - October 4th, 2017
- 'Wayout' Is the Next Colorful Minimalistic Puzzle Title From Dropout Games, and Is in Need of Beta Testers - Touch Arcade - September 7th, 2017
- Nintendo Switch Adds Six New Games Today - GameSpot - September 7th, 2017
- Settling in and exploring new avenues: Gram Games on moving from a small studio to a mid-size company - Pocket Gamer.Biz - September 7th, 2017
- 'Octopuz' Is a Memory Puzzle Game Made by a 13-Year-Old - Touch Arcade - September 6th, 2017
- The Guides Axiom Review: Bewilderingly Delightful - Gamezebo - September 6th, 2017
- Death Squared Review Drop In, Drop Out - DualShockers - September 6th, 2017
- 'Fed up with fantasies for male teenagers': fixing the depiction of women in games - The Guardian - September 6th, 2017
- Gamers Offered a Treasure Trove of Classic, Puzzle, and Strategy Free Games: MyRealGames Announces Latest ... - Canada NewsWire (press release) - September 6th, 2017
- Join The Knight Watch, a frenetic puzzle game for iPhone... and Apple Watch ! - Develop - September 6th, 2017
- CAPCOM announces Puzzle Fighter, a new puzzle game with ... - Android Community - September 6th, 2017
- Last Day of June Is Beautiful, Touching And Emotionally Draining - Kotaku - September 5th, 2017
- Knack 2 review - Polygon - September 5th, 2017
- Go head-to-head in Capcom's new free 'Puzzle Fighter' mobile game - Digital Trends - September 5th, 2017
- Steam's rules about adult content continue to baffle - PC Gamer - September 5th, 2017
- 'Tiny Bubbles' Is a Puzzle Game That's Way More in Depth Than We Were Expecting at PAX - Touch Arcade - September 3rd, 2017
- Review: The Bridge - Nintendo Life - September 3rd, 2017
- Pax West 2017 The Gardens Between - DVS Gaming (registration) (blog) - September 2nd, 2017
- Capcom is finally releasing a new Puzzle Fighter game, and it's coming to Android later this year - Android Police - September 1st, 2017
- Can you solve it? Riddles inspired by card tricks - The Guardian - September 1st, 2017
- Challenge to end stalemate over $1 million maths puzzle - The Courier - September 1st, 2017
- 'Simple' chess puzzle holds key to $1m prize - Phys.Org - September 1st, 2017
- The Puzzles of Marcel Duchamp - Foyles - September 1st, 2017
- Capcom's 'Puzzle Fighter' Brings the Classic Game to Mobile - Touch Arcade - September 1st, 2017
- David Darling's Kwalee launches addictive puzzle game TENS! - Develop - September 1st, 2017
- Hard Rock teams up with game studio to make mobile puzzle-match game - VentureBeat - August 31st, 2017
- Sanrio's Hello Kitty & Friends has become a puzzle game? - Develop - August 30th, 2017
- Gram Games' puzzle masters unleash Merge Town | GamesBeat ... - VentureBeat - August 30th, 2017
- Absurd Puzzle Adventure Game Maize Coming to PS4 and Xbox One in September - DualShockers - August 30th, 2017
- Cyan partners with Legendary Pictures to add backstory to Obduction - VentureBeat - August 29th, 2017
- This New Version of Solitaire Is Being Released on Floppy Disks - Motherboard - August 29th, 2017
- Google Play Indie Games Festival unveils 20 finalists - VentureBeat - August 29th, 2017
- What Makes a Great Tutorial? - IGN - August 28th, 2017
- Gamescom 2017: Hands on with Transference, a decidedly unsettling VR puzzle game - Critical Hit - August 28th, 2017
- Acclaimed VR Puzzle Game 'FORM' Now Available for Oculus Rift - Road to VR - August 26th, 2017
- The Witness and Obduction Creators Come Together to Talk Game Design - PlayStation LifeStyle - August 26th, 2017
- Panda Pop passes 100 million users as Jam City readies for an IPO - TechCrunch - August 25th, 2017
- Get to know: Rocketship Park, Ontario-based makers of the addictive new puzzle game Block Droppin' - Financial Post - August 25th, 2017
- Nintendo Switch Eshop Adds Three New Games Today - GameSpot - August 25th, 2017
- Hands-On: Xing The Land Beyond Is An Atmospheric VR Puzzle Game About The Afterlife - UploadVR - August 23rd, 2017
- Can YOU name these classic computer games? Use the photo clues to name all 22 favourites - The Sun - August 22nd, 2017
- ChromaGun Review Color Me Happy - DualShockers - August 22nd, 2017
- 5 new restaurants and retailers coming to The Greene - Dayton Daily News - August 21st, 2017
- Video Game News Recap - GeekDad (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Tiny Bubbles Coming Soon - DVS Gaming (registration) (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Game Day: Pigeon Wings - MacStories - August 19th, 2017
- Video game review: If you're ready for a puzzle, then 'The Room 3' delivers - The Register-Guard - August 18th, 2017
- Maze Walk VR Review - Gearbrain (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Evergrow for iPhone proves matching-based puzzle games are actually super exciting - Macworld - August 18th, 2017
- This stick-figure Western is one of the funniest games in ages - A.V. Club - August 18th, 2017
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy review for good and bad, it's not Nathan Drake - VentureBeat - August 17th, 2017
- Tri-town libraries announce upcoming programs - Wicked Local Marion - August 17th, 2017
- 'Cityglitch' Review - Defeat Glitches and Save Cities in This Challenging Puzzler - Touch Arcade - August 17th, 2017
- Game review: 'Black the Fall,' escape the iron fist - Reading Eagle - August 17th, 2017
- The 'Dungeon Raid' Eulogy - The Best 32-Bit Games That Will Die With iOS 11 - Touch Arcade - August 16th, 2017
- 'Follow.trail' Review - Find Your Trail to Victory and Fun - Touch Arcade - August 15th, 2017
- Ironcast Review Nintendo Switch Meets Steampunk - DualShockers - August 15th, 2017
- The Initiate (PC) REVIEW Honey, Where's Home? - Cultured Vultures - August 13th, 2017
- Watch and win as we livestream Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign tonight on Mixer [Ended] - Windows Central - August 13th, 2017
- 'noded' Review - An Attractive Minimalist Puzzler That's Sometimes Tough to Figure Out - Touch Arcade - August 11th, 2017
- Master the space-time continuum in Causality, a unique puzzle game for iPhone - Macworld - August 11th, 2017
- Xbox Indie Creators Program goes live today with first wave of games - Digital Trends - August 11th, 2017
- Puzzle | Hidden objects games - August 11th, 2017
- First Xbox Live Creators Program Games are Now Available - Thurrott.com (blog) - August 11th, 2017
- RPG Puzzle Co-Op Title SwapQuest Console and PC Release Date Revealed with New Gameplay Trailer - DualShockers - August 11th, 2017