These days, keeping up with games can be a full-time job. So how do you separate the signal from the noise, the wheat from the chaff, the Temple Runs from the Temple Jumps? Allow us to help by regularly selecting a gameYou Should Play.
When I first downloaded Evergrow, I thought I knew exactly what the game was going to be: A minimalist puzzle game that hinged on one or two clever mechanics, possibly with a decent soundtrack.
But I was wrong.
This isn’t your typical casual puzzle gamenot at all. It might start out that way, but it quickly becomes an exciting, action-based puzzler that will have you frantically multitasking as you fling blocks haphazardly around the screen. It’s also got a semblance of a storyline, which is kind of neatit adds some character and drive to each level, and you don’t feel like you’re just rushing to complete the game for no reason.
It looks simple, but it’s surprisingly intense.
In short, Evergrow is a polished, clever, and surprisingly addictive physics-based puzzle game. Here’s why you need to check it out:
It grows on you: Like many casual iOS games, Evergrow starts you out very slowlyin fact, it starts you out with a quick tutorial where you’re introduced to the main “character” (a “Chromaroid”), as well as the initial game mechanics. These initial mechanics are pretty simpleall you’re doing is dragging your finger across the screen to propel colorful blocks toward or away from your Chromaroid. Blocks of the same color are good and will attach to your Chromaroid to make it grow larger; blocks of different colors are bad and will hurt your Chromaroid. To add a same-colored block to the Chromaroid, tap and drag it until it touches (it will slide into place). To repel different-colored blocks, tap and flick them away from your little dude.
Pick a color gem and drag it to the middle to wake up your Chromaroid.
If this seems a bit overly simple, that’s because itis. The game starts out with these very basic game mechanics, and the first few levels are a bitboring.
After the first few levels, things start to get exciting. And yesyou can die.
But there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, because once you’ve cleared the first few levels the game picks up pretty quickly by introducing new block types (various special blocks that do things like shield your structure from harm or zap offensive blocks into oblivion) and new enemies (hurtling cannons and explosive mines), not to mention environmental hurdles and increasingly difficult completion goals. Fight through the first few levelsit’s worth it!
It looks great: Evergrow’s graphics are simpleyour character is literally a two-dimensional boxbut that doesn’t mean the developers skimped on artistry. The game features some interesting physics dynamics: The blocks slip into place when they’re the same color, but bump and jiggle across the surface of your Chromaroid’s block-enclosure when they’re different. In addition to dragging loose blocks too and from your structure, you can also drag your Chromaroid around the screen (to do thing like collect coins or simply avoid obstacles), and so your Chromaroid also moves with the physics of the game.
What’s impressive here is how smooth everything looks, even as just about every object on the screen is tumbling about. The Chromaroid may have a retro-cutesy look to it, with its expressive 16-bit face, but there’s nothing retro about the game’s overall graphics.
There’s plenty to do: The game’s basic goal is pretty simple: Drag and attach colored blocks to your Chromaroid to help it grow. Each level offers guidelines for how big your Chromaroid needs to grow, and you’ll want to attach blocks in a somewhat orderly fashion or you’ll end up with big holes in your structure. But building a giant, solid block of color isn’t the only thing to think about in this game.
You always want to grow, but that’s not the only thing you want to do!
Each level also has a star ratingbut unlike most of the star ratings you’ve seen, these stars aren’t earned by completing the level “perfectly.” At the beginning of the level, you’ll see the criteria needed to earn each starsometimes it’s pretty typical (such as “become bigger”) and sometimes it’s not (such as “fill a difficult gap” or “make it spin more than 360 degrees”). You won’t be able to earn a three-star rating on every level without carefully going over these criteria, and that definitely keeps things interesting.
On top of the star rating there’s also an in-game currencydiamond-shaped coins that you can collect by dragging your Chromaroid around the board. Collecting these coins is surprisingly tricky, since the board also features blocks flying at you from every angle and exploding obstacles (like mines), plusyour Chromaroid isn’t exactly a Mercedes when it comes to handling. These coins can then be exchanged in the game’s workshop for upgrades to special blocks, new blocks to put in your “bucket” (a storage space where you can save special blocks for when you need them), and upgrades to your character.
Developer:ImagilityPlatform:iOS(iPhone, iPad, and iMessagel)Price:$3
- The Impossible Quiz - Free Online Puzzle Games from ... - January 8th, 2019
- Free Puzzle Games - Download Word Puzzle, Jigsaw Puzzle ... - December 20th, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Free Online Puzzle Games - Page 5 - November 27th, 2018
- Free Online Jigsaw Puzzles & Games | Play for Free - November 27th, 2018
- Chess Puzzle of the Day - Can You Solve It? - October 12th, 2018
- Free Puzzle Games - Play Games For Free - September 30th, 2018
- Play Free Puzzle Games Online - 4J.Com - September 29th, 2018
- Free Jigsaw Puzzles - Jigsaw Puzzle Games at ... - September 29th, 2018
- Empty Room Escape - Free Online Puzzle Games from AddictingGames - August 21st, 2018
- Puzzle Games | Disney LOL - August 21st, 2018
- Play Crossword | Puzzles USA Today - August 21st, 2018
- Simply Jigsaw - Free online games at Gamesgames.com - August 2nd, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Games at Royalgames.com - July 28th, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Free Download - GameTop - July 14th, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Free Online Puzzle Games - July 3rd, 2018
- Play Free Puzzles Games - Super Games - October 4th, 2017
- 'Wayout' Is the Next Colorful Minimalistic Puzzle Title From Dropout Games, and Is in Need of Beta Testers - Touch Arcade - September 7th, 2017
- Nintendo Switch Adds Six New Games Today - GameSpot - September 7th, 2017
- Settling in and exploring new avenues: Gram Games on moving from a small studio to a mid-size company - Pocket Gamer.Biz - September 7th, 2017
- 'Octopuz' Is a Memory Puzzle Game Made by a 13-Year-Old - Touch Arcade - September 6th, 2017
- The Guides Axiom Review: Bewilderingly Delightful - Gamezebo - September 6th, 2017
- Death Squared Review Drop In, Drop Out - DualShockers - September 6th, 2017
- 'Fed up with fantasies for male teenagers': fixing the depiction of women in games - The Guardian - September 6th, 2017
- Gamers Offered a Treasure Trove of Classic, Puzzle, and Strategy Free Games: MyRealGames Announces Latest ... - Canada NewsWire (press release) - September 6th, 2017
- Join The Knight Watch, a frenetic puzzle game for iPhone... and Apple Watch ! - Develop - September 6th, 2017
- CAPCOM announces Puzzle Fighter, a new puzzle game with ... - Android Community - September 6th, 2017
- Last Day of June Is Beautiful, Touching And Emotionally Draining - Kotaku - September 5th, 2017
- Knack 2 review - Polygon - September 5th, 2017
- Go head-to-head in Capcom's new free 'Puzzle Fighter' mobile game - Digital Trends - September 5th, 2017
- Steam's rules about adult content continue to baffle - PC Gamer - September 5th, 2017
- 'Tiny Bubbles' Is a Puzzle Game That's Way More in Depth Than We Were Expecting at PAX - Touch Arcade - September 3rd, 2017
- Review: The Bridge - Nintendo Life - September 3rd, 2017
- Pax West 2017 The Gardens Between - DVS Gaming (registration) (blog) - September 2nd, 2017
- Capcom is finally releasing a new Puzzle Fighter game, and it's coming to Android later this year - Android Police - September 1st, 2017
- Can you solve it? Riddles inspired by card tricks - The Guardian - September 1st, 2017
- Challenge to end stalemate over $1 million maths puzzle - The Courier - September 1st, 2017
- 'Simple' chess puzzle holds key to $1m prize - Phys.Org - September 1st, 2017
- The Puzzles of Marcel Duchamp - Foyles - September 1st, 2017
- Did you solve it? Riddles inspired by card tricks - The Guardian - September 1st, 2017
- Capcom's 'Puzzle Fighter' Brings the Classic Game to Mobile - Touch Arcade - September 1st, 2017
- David Darling's Kwalee launches addictive puzzle game TENS! - Develop - September 1st, 2017
- Hard Rock teams up with game studio to make mobile puzzle-match game - VentureBeat - August 31st, 2017
- Sanrio's Hello Kitty & Friends has become a puzzle game? - Develop - August 30th, 2017
- Gram Games' puzzle masters unleash Merge Town | GamesBeat ... - VentureBeat - August 30th, 2017
- Absurd Puzzle Adventure Game Maize Coming to PS4 and Xbox One in September - DualShockers - August 30th, 2017
- Cyan partners with Legendary Pictures to add backstory to Obduction - VentureBeat - August 29th, 2017
- This New Version of Solitaire Is Being Released on Floppy Disks - Motherboard - August 29th, 2017
- Google Play Indie Games Festival unveils 20 finalists - VentureBeat - August 29th, 2017
- What Makes a Great Tutorial? - IGN - August 28th, 2017
- Gamescom 2017: Hands on with Transference, a decidedly unsettling VR puzzle game - Critical Hit - August 28th, 2017
- Acclaimed VR Puzzle Game 'FORM' Now Available for Oculus Rift - Road to VR - August 26th, 2017
- The Witness and Obduction Creators Come Together to Talk Game Design - PlayStation LifeStyle - August 26th, 2017
- Panda Pop passes 100 million users as Jam City readies for an IPO - TechCrunch - August 25th, 2017
- Get to know: Rocketship Park, Ontario-based makers of the addictive new puzzle game Block Droppin' - Financial Post - August 25th, 2017
- Nintendo Switch Eshop Adds Three New Games Today - GameSpot - August 25th, 2017
- Hands-On: Xing The Land Beyond Is An Atmospheric VR Puzzle Game About The Afterlife - UploadVR - August 23rd, 2017
- Can YOU name these classic computer games? Use the photo clues to name all 22 favourites - The Sun - August 22nd, 2017
- ChromaGun Review Color Me Happy - DualShockers - August 22nd, 2017
- 5 new restaurants and retailers coming to The Greene - Dayton Daily News - August 21st, 2017
- Video Game News Recap - GeekDad (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Tiny Bubbles Coming Soon - DVS Gaming (registration) (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Game Day: Pigeon Wings - MacStories - August 19th, 2017
- Video game review: If you're ready for a puzzle, then 'The Room 3' delivers - The Register-Guard - August 18th, 2017
- Maze Walk VR Review - Gearbrain (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- This stick-figure Western is one of the funniest games in ages - A.V. Club - August 18th, 2017
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy review for good and bad, it's not Nathan Drake - VentureBeat - August 17th, 2017
- Tri-town libraries announce upcoming programs - Wicked Local Marion - August 17th, 2017
- 'Cityglitch' Review - Defeat Glitches and Save Cities in This Challenging Puzzler - Touch Arcade - August 17th, 2017
- Game review: 'Black the Fall,' escape the iron fist - Reading Eagle - August 17th, 2017
- The 'Dungeon Raid' Eulogy - The Best 32-Bit Games That Will Die With iOS 11 - Touch Arcade - August 16th, 2017
- 'Follow.trail' Review - Find Your Trail to Victory and Fun - Touch Arcade - August 15th, 2017
- Ironcast Review Nintendo Switch Meets Steampunk - DualShockers - August 15th, 2017
- The Initiate (PC) REVIEW Honey, Where's Home? - Cultured Vultures - August 13th, 2017
- Watch and win as we livestream Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign tonight on Mixer [Ended] - Windows Central - August 13th, 2017
- 'noded' Review - An Attractive Minimalist Puzzler That's Sometimes Tough to Figure Out - Touch Arcade - August 11th, 2017
- Master the space-time continuum in Causality, a unique puzzle game for iPhone - Macworld - August 11th, 2017
- Xbox Indie Creators Program goes live today with first wave of games - Digital Trends - August 11th, 2017
- Puzzle | Hidden objects games - August 11th, 2017
- First Xbox Live Creators Program Games are Now Available - Thurrott.com (blog) - August 11th, 2017
- RPG Puzzle Co-Op Title SwapQuest Console and PC Release Date Revealed with New Gameplay Trailer - DualShockers - August 11th, 2017