These days, keeping up with games can be a full-time job. So how do you separate the signal from the noise, the wheat from the chaff, the Temple Runs from the Temple Jumps? Allow us to help by regularly selecting a gameYou Should Play.
Most of the puzzle games on the App Store fall into a handful of genres: match-3, hidden object, point-and-tap. Occasionally, youll see a unique take on one of those genres (like Spry Foxs Road Not Taken), butstill in one of those genres.
Causality is not your typical puzzle game.
If I had to classify Causality, I guess Id call it a turn-based puzzlewith a twist. But even thats kind of a lie, because this is one of the most unique mobile games Ive played. Its so unique that its actually kind of difficult to explain, but Ill take a stab: In this game, you travel backward (and forward) in time to help your past (or future) self(s).
Eryeah. Its hard to describe in words, but it makes more (if not complete) sense when you get your hands on it. Youll have to pay $1.99 for this premium pick, and its totally worth your cash. Heres why:
It starts out simple: If youre asking yourself what the heck a space-time continuum is right about now, dont worryyoure not expected to jump into the deep end of Causality without getting your feet wet. Although the game eventually gets pretty tricky, the first chapter does a good job of easing you into the confusion.
Causality consists of 60 levels across four different zones, and each zone has 15 levels (10 main levels and five optional levels), a unique visual scheme, and new obstacles and challenges. The first 10 levels in the first zone are introductory: Here, youll learn the basics of how the astronauts move and how obstacles and time-warp portals work. Its not an in-depth tutorial, but youll get the hang of it pretty quickly (and if you dont, this game is totally winnable by trial-and-error).
The goal: Get the blue astronaut to the blue tile and the green astronaut to the green tile. And dont get snatched by an alien tentacle.
In each level, your goal is to direct colorful astronauts to their respective colorful tiles. There are obstacles along the way, such as alien tentacles, switch-based platforms, and crumbling tiles. The solution wont always be straightforwardin some levels youll need to bump your astronauts into each other to get them to go the correct direction. When an astronaut successfully reaches their destination tile, they stopin some levels, one astronauts tile will block anothers, so youll need to time their travels correctly.
Levels also have time constraints, which are measured as step-counts (or turns). To move time forward, tap the screen and drag your finger down; to move time backward, tap the screen and drag your finger up. This game is turn-based, so at each step or turn you can make changes to the board by tapping arrow tiles to change directions.
But it quickly gets crazy: Switches, arrow-tiles, and obstacles are one thing, but time-warp portals are where Causality gets interesting (and incredibly confusing). If an astronaut comes enters a time-warp portal, theyre teleported to a different part of the board and to a different point in time.
The purple astronaut is four steps from the portal (the tile with light shooting out of it), and the portal sends him back five stepsso you can already see his ghost.
This is where it gets tricky: when an astronaut starts to approach the portal a time-warped ghost of that astronaut will appear on the board. Its a little tough to wrap your head around, but if the portal sends your astronaut back three moves, the astronauts ghost will appear on the screen three moves before the astronaut reaches the portal. Time-warps appear as loops on your timeline, so that should clear things up a littlesort ofmaybe
Once the original astronaut actually enters the portal, theyll disappear and the ghost will become the real astronaut. Naturally, this means that many of Causalitys puzzles can only be solved with some careful time manipulating and multiple astronaut planning.
Its beautiful and relaxingish: If Causalitys uniqueand occasionally super frustratingtake on turn-based puzzles doesnt tempt you, its graphics and soundtrack certainly will.
The board may be minimal, but the background is not.
Like many popular mobile games, Causalitys primary visual aesthetic is low-poly minimalism, but its not just another Monument Valley clone. This game definitely has its own look, with single-screen boards, smooth white tiles, and bright, vibrantly-colored dynamic backgrounds. Although the boards are maybe a bit too minimalist, youll still find a lot of unnecessary (but pretty) details, including cables and electrical currents that match switches, platforms, and portals.
Old-school video scan lines indicate rewinding or fast-forwarding.
Whats perhaps more impressive than just the art is the animation, because of how the game is set up. Since youre constantly moving backward and forward in Causality, the board is almost always in motion. This is where the dynamic backgrounds really come into playevery movement, no matter how tiny or irrelevant to the outcome, is recorded on the tape and played backward and forward. Youll even see old-school video scan lines to indicate fast-forwarding and rewinding (versus just playing).
- Chess Puzzle of the Day - Can You Solve It? - October 12th, 2018
- Free Puzzle Games - Play Games For Free - September 30th, 2018
- Play Free Puzzle Games Online - 4J.Com - September 29th, 2018
- Free Jigsaw Puzzles - Jigsaw Puzzle Games at ... - September 29th, 2018
- Empty Room Escape - Free Online Puzzle Games from AddictingGames - August 21st, 2018
- Puzzle Games | Disney LOL - August 21st, 2018
- Play Crossword | Puzzles USA Today - August 21st, 2018
- Simply Jigsaw - Free online games at Gamesgames.com - August 2nd, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Games at Royalgames.com - July 28th, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Free Download - GameTop - July 14th, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Free Online Puzzle Games - July 3rd, 2018
- Play Free Puzzles Games - Super Games - October 4th, 2017
- 'Wayout' Is the Next Colorful Minimalistic Puzzle Title From Dropout Games, and Is in Need of Beta Testers - Touch Arcade - September 7th, 2017
- Nintendo Switch Adds Six New Games Today - GameSpot - September 7th, 2017
- Settling in and exploring new avenues: Gram Games on moving from a small studio to a mid-size company - Pocket Gamer.Biz - September 7th, 2017
- 'Octopuz' Is a Memory Puzzle Game Made by a 13-Year-Old - Touch Arcade - September 6th, 2017
- The Guides Axiom Review: Bewilderingly Delightful - Gamezebo - September 6th, 2017
- Death Squared Review Drop In, Drop Out - DualShockers - September 6th, 2017
- 'Fed up with fantasies for male teenagers': fixing the depiction of women in games - The Guardian - September 6th, 2017
- Gamers Offered a Treasure Trove of Classic, Puzzle, and Strategy Free Games: MyRealGames Announces Latest ... - Canada NewsWire (press release) - September 6th, 2017
- Join The Knight Watch, a frenetic puzzle game for iPhone... and Apple Watch ! - Develop - September 6th, 2017
- CAPCOM announces Puzzle Fighter, a new puzzle game with ... - Android Community - September 6th, 2017
- Last Day of June Is Beautiful, Touching And Emotionally Draining - Kotaku - September 5th, 2017
- Knack 2 review - Polygon - September 5th, 2017
- Go head-to-head in Capcom's new free 'Puzzle Fighter' mobile game - Digital Trends - September 5th, 2017
- Steam's rules about adult content continue to baffle - PC Gamer - September 5th, 2017
- 'Tiny Bubbles' Is a Puzzle Game That's Way More in Depth Than We Were Expecting at PAX - Touch Arcade - September 3rd, 2017
- Review: The Bridge - Nintendo Life - September 3rd, 2017
- Pax West 2017 The Gardens Between - DVS Gaming (registration) (blog) - September 2nd, 2017
- Capcom is finally releasing a new Puzzle Fighter game, and it's coming to Android later this year - Android Police - September 1st, 2017
- Can you solve it? Riddles inspired by card tricks - The Guardian - September 1st, 2017
- Challenge to end stalemate over $1 million maths puzzle - The Courier - September 1st, 2017
- 'Simple' chess puzzle holds key to $1m prize - Phys.Org - September 1st, 2017
- The Puzzles of Marcel Duchamp - Foyles - September 1st, 2017
- Did you solve it? Riddles inspired by card tricks - The Guardian - September 1st, 2017
- Capcom's 'Puzzle Fighter' Brings the Classic Game to Mobile - Touch Arcade - September 1st, 2017
- David Darling's Kwalee launches addictive puzzle game TENS! - Develop - September 1st, 2017
- Hard Rock teams up with game studio to make mobile puzzle-match game - VentureBeat - August 31st, 2017
- Sanrio's Hello Kitty & Friends has become a puzzle game? - Develop - August 30th, 2017
- Gram Games' puzzle masters unleash Merge Town | GamesBeat ... - VentureBeat - August 30th, 2017
- Absurd Puzzle Adventure Game Maize Coming to PS4 and Xbox One in September - DualShockers - August 30th, 2017
- Cyan partners with Legendary Pictures to add backstory to Obduction - VentureBeat - August 29th, 2017
- This New Version of Solitaire Is Being Released on Floppy Disks - Motherboard - August 29th, 2017
- Google Play Indie Games Festival unveils 20 finalists - VentureBeat - August 29th, 2017
- What Makes a Great Tutorial? - IGN - August 28th, 2017
- Gamescom 2017: Hands on with Transference, a decidedly unsettling VR puzzle game - Critical Hit - August 28th, 2017
- Acclaimed VR Puzzle Game 'FORM' Now Available for Oculus Rift - Road to VR - August 26th, 2017
- The Witness and Obduction Creators Come Together to Talk Game Design - PlayStation LifeStyle - August 26th, 2017
- Panda Pop passes 100 million users as Jam City readies for an IPO - TechCrunch - August 25th, 2017
- Get to know: Rocketship Park, Ontario-based makers of the addictive new puzzle game Block Droppin' - Financial Post - August 25th, 2017
- Nintendo Switch Eshop Adds Three New Games Today - GameSpot - August 25th, 2017
- Hands-On: Xing The Land Beyond Is An Atmospheric VR Puzzle Game About The Afterlife - UploadVR - August 23rd, 2017
- Can YOU name these classic computer games? Use the photo clues to name all 22 favourites - The Sun - August 22nd, 2017
- ChromaGun Review Color Me Happy - DualShockers - August 22nd, 2017
- 5 new restaurants and retailers coming to The Greene - Dayton Daily News - August 21st, 2017
- Video Game News Recap - GeekDad (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Tiny Bubbles Coming Soon - DVS Gaming (registration) (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Game Day: Pigeon Wings - MacStories - August 19th, 2017
- Video game review: If you're ready for a puzzle, then 'The Room 3' delivers - The Register-Guard - August 18th, 2017
- Maze Walk VR Review - Gearbrain (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Evergrow for iPhone proves matching-based puzzle games are actually super exciting - Macworld - August 18th, 2017
- This stick-figure Western is one of the funniest games in ages - A.V. Club - August 18th, 2017
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy review for good and bad, it's not Nathan Drake - VentureBeat - August 17th, 2017
- Tri-town libraries announce upcoming programs - Wicked Local Marion - August 17th, 2017
- 'Cityglitch' Review - Defeat Glitches and Save Cities in This Challenging Puzzler - Touch Arcade - August 17th, 2017
- Game review: 'Black the Fall,' escape the iron fist - Reading Eagle - August 17th, 2017
- The 'Dungeon Raid' Eulogy - The Best 32-Bit Games That Will Die With iOS 11 - Touch Arcade - August 16th, 2017
- 'Follow.trail' Review - Find Your Trail to Victory and Fun - Touch Arcade - August 15th, 2017
- Ironcast Review Nintendo Switch Meets Steampunk - DualShockers - August 15th, 2017
- The Initiate (PC) REVIEW Honey, Where's Home? - Cultured Vultures - August 13th, 2017
- Watch and win as we livestream Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign tonight on Mixer [Ended] - Windows Central - August 13th, 2017
- 'noded' Review - An Attractive Minimalist Puzzler That's Sometimes Tough to Figure Out - Touch Arcade - August 11th, 2017
- Xbox Indie Creators Program goes live today with first wave of games - Digital Trends - August 11th, 2017
- Puzzle | Hidden objects games - August 11th, 2017
- First Xbox Live Creators Program Games are Now Available - Thurrott.com (blog) - August 11th, 2017
- RPG Puzzle Co-Op Title SwapQuest Console and PC Release Date Revealed with New Gameplay Trailer - DualShockers - August 11th, 2017
- Grab some cracking Android titles in this month's Humble Mobile Bundle: Puzzles Critical Hits - Pocket Gamer - August 11th, 2017
- Spiral Splatter, a brain-bending arcade puzzle game Released on Steam! - Develop - August 10th, 2017
- Video Games May Affect The Brain Differently, Depending On What You Play - NPR - August 10th, 2017
- Road Draw is an interesting spin on driving puzzles (Review) - AndroidGuys - August 10th, 2017