2017 has been a big year for Gram Games so far.
The developer expanded out from Istanbul with a new headquarters in London, which got straight to work and launched its first game, Merge Dragons!, in June 2017.
It wasn’t just a new game, however it was also the first time that Gram had experimented with IAP, having previously developed casual games that were entirely supported by ads.
It’s an exciting time for the developer, and Culture Developer Erin O’Brien is definitely pleased with how the year has turned out thus far.
On top of new studios and new games, “the year’s allowed us to explore a lot of new talent, a lot of new people as we’ve expanded into this IAP space,” she explains.
“The rest of the year promises a lot of releases exciting releases, in my opinion.”
Gram is keeping tight-lipped on what form these games might take for now. But one thing is clear – it is very excited about the potential of IAPs.
“IAP is a really exciting space to be in it allows you a lot more creativity and freedom with regards to what you can explore in terms of gameplay,” explains O’Brien.
“We’re a company that wants to be making games for the players, we want to be a company that’s making fun and entertainment for people, and IAP gives you the opportunity to be very responsive to that.
“And also, we had our three hit puzzle games, and while those are really exciting and really great, we wanted to see what else our team can do.”
The decision to try something new is paying off O’Brien states that Merge Dragons! is performing well, particularly in terms of its community and fanbase.
And it seems to be a shrewd business move too. While Gram is still exploring different areas of monetisation, IAP is definitely something it is interesting in pushing further into.
“It’s a very interesting realm to venture into, and see how you can use the data and player response to build involved, engaging gameplay that allows the game to stay alive without the distraction of ads,” says O’Brien.
Merge Dragons! is Gram Game’s first exploration into an IAP-led game, but it won’t be its last
“Merge Dragons! has been an incredible experience with regards to that, and the titles that we have to come have also allowed us to further explore mechanics, meta, different forms of integrating IAP.”
Diversity is good
But that doesn’t mean it won’t be making ad-based games anymore. “Diversity is always a smart move,” says O’Brien.
“We still have one ad-based title still out there, and it’s not like we’re not going to be making ad-based titles anymore. We’re diversifying what we’re doing, diversifying offices, diversifying the team.”
But Gram is only diversifying so far. A core title is off the cards for now as it focuses on its “mobile social” realm.
While a core game may not be on the table, the company is exploring implementing metagame elements in all its games including casual releases like Bounzy!.
“We’re interested in adding more and more it depends on the demographic, it depends on what people want and what they respond to,” says O’Brien.
“But the way we work as a company, we very much give the freedom to our team to explore the things that the data says will work, but also that they’re interested in creating.
“As our team has delved into these games, they’ve become very interested in the idea of building another narrative on top of these puzzle games, and keeping it simple and casual while also allowing people to semi-engage in the way that you would in a mid-core game.”
That team isn’t looking to grow anytime soon either. After a rapid expansion at the start of 2017, with a new studio opening, Gram is slowing down to let the new people settle in a bit more.
Gram opened its new studio in London earlier in 2017
“We are a company that puts a really, really high premium on the culture that we create and encourage within the organisation, and it’s something we’re very diligent about every time we bring someone new onto the team,” explains O’Brien.
“Our interview process is like, six steps long. Expanding and growing the team is not something we take lightly.”
“We want to make sure everyone in London is settled in, we want to make sure everyone in Istanbul is settled in, and make sure our company culture and the way that we produce things is still working in two studios before we look to expand further.”
The company is particularly wary of growing too quickly and losing sight of the culture that led to its initial success, as can be the case when developers expand rapidly.
“At the end of the day, we view our culture as just as integral to our success as our products,” says O’Brien.
“There’s a symbiotic relationship you can’t have the products without the culture, you can’t have the culture without the products.”
So as much as Gram Games is gearing up for a busy period for releases through the rest of 2017, its settling down to give its team some time to relax, settle in, and try new things before it looks to expand anymore.
“We’re moving from a small studio to a mid-size studio we have two small studios, and we never really want to be more than a several small studios, but right now as a larger company we’re moving towards mid-size,” explains O’Brien.
“We’re exploring different ventures, like what we can do with the games we’ve created we want to be a scalable entertainment company, we don’t just want to be the company that makes puzzle games.”
“I think we are becoming that, and I think that it’s a really exciting time for the company, and it’s a really exciting time to watch out for what Gram is doing.”
- PUZZLE GAMES Online - Play Free Puzzle Games at Poki.com! - May 3rd, 2019
- Puzzle Games - Build Your Brain - Agame.com - April 24th, 2019
- Jigsaw Puzzle Games| Free Online Puzzles for Kids and ... - April 9th, 2019
- Page 5 of Puzzle games, Free puzzle games - Dailygames.com - April 3rd, 2019
- Amazon Best Sellers: Best Puzzles - April 3rd, 2019
- Puzzle Games - Dailygames.com - April 3rd, 2019
- Numbers 0-10 Puzzle Game | Game | Education.com - April 3rd, 2019
- Braingle Brain Teasers, Puzzles, Riddles, Trivia and Games - April 3rd, 2019
- The Brain Game 2 - Free online games at Gamesgames.com - April 2nd, 2019
- Free puzzle games for kids - play online - March 16th, 2019
- Play FREE Online Puzzle Games at FreeKI Games - March 16th, 2019
- Home | Labyrinth Games & Puzzles - February 1st, 2019
- Amazon.com: Puzzles: Toys & Games: Jigsaw Puzzles, Brain ... - January 29th, 2019
- The Impossible Quiz - Free Online Puzzle Games from ... - January 8th, 2019
- Free Puzzle Games - Download Word Puzzle, Jigsaw Puzzle ... - December 20th, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Free Online Puzzle Games - Page 5 - November 27th, 2018
- Free Online Jigsaw Puzzles & Games | Play for Free - November 27th, 2018
- Chess Puzzle of the Day - Can You Solve It? - October 12th, 2018
- Free Puzzle Games - Play Games For Free - September 30th, 2018
- Play Free Puzzle Games Online - 4J.Com - September 29th, 2018
- Free Jigsaw Puzzles - Jigsaw Puzzle Games at ... - September 29th, 2018
- Empty Room Escape - Free Online Puzzle Games from AddictingGames - August 21st, 2018
- Puzzle Games | Disney LOL - August 21st, 2018
- Play Crossword | Puzzles USA Today - August 21st, 2018
- Simply Jigsaw - Free online games at Gamesgames.com - August 2nd, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Games at Royalgames.com - July 28th, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Free Download - GameTop - July 14th, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Free Online Puzzle Games - July 3rd, 2018
- Play Free Puzzles Games - Super Games - October 4th, 2017
- 'Wayout' Is the Next Colorful Minimalistic Puzzle Title From Dropout Games, and Is in Need of Beta Testers - Touch Arcade - September 7th, 2017
- Nintendo Switch Adds Six New Games Today - GameSpot - September 7th, 2017
- 'Octopuz' Is a Memory Puzzle Game Made by a 13-Year-Old - Touch Arcade - September 6th, 2017
- The Guides Axiom Review: Bewilderingly Delightful - Gamezebo - September 6th, 2017
- Death Squared Review Drop In, Drop Out - DualShockers - September 6th, 2017
- 'Fed up with fantasies for male teenagers': fixing the depiction of women in games - The Guardian - September 6th, 2017
- Gamers Offered a Treasure Trove of Classic, Puzzle, and Strategy Free Games: MyRealGames Announces Latest ... - Canada NewsWire (press release) - September 6th, 2017
- Join The Knight Watch, a frenetic puzzle game for iPhone... and Apple Watch ! - Develop - September 6th, 2017
- CAPCOM announces Puzzle Fighter, a new puzzle game with ... - Android Community - September 6th, 2017
- Last Day of June Is Beautiful, Touching And Emotionally Draining - Kotaku - September 5th, 2017
- Knack 2 review - Polygon - September 5th, 2017
- Go head-to-head in Capcom's new free 'Puzzle Fighter' mobile game - Digital Trends - September 5th, 2017
- Steam's rules about adult content continue to baffle - PC Gamer - September 5th, 2017
- 'Tiny Bubbles' Is a Puzzle Game That's Way More in Depth Than We Were Expecting at PAX - Touch Arcade - September 3rd, 2017
- Review: The Bridge - Nintendo Life - September 3rd, 2017
- Pax West 2017 The Gardens Between - DVS Gaming (registration) (blog) - September 2nd, 2017
- Capcom is finally releasing a new Puzzle Fighter game, and it's coming to Android later this year - Android Police - September 1st, 2017
- Can you solve it? Riddles inspired by card tricks - The Guardian - September 1st, 2017
- Challenge to end stalemate over $1 million maths puzzle - The Courier - September 1st, 2017
- 'Simple' chess puzzle holds key to $1m prize - Phys.Org - September 1st, 2017
- The Puzzles of Marcel Duchamp - Foyles - September 1st, 2017
- Did you solve it? Riddles inspired by card tricks - The Guardian - September 1st, 2017
- Capcom's 'Puzzle Fighter' Brings the Classic Game to Mobile - Touch Arcade - September 1st, 2017
- David Darling's Kwalee launches addictive puzzle game TENS! - Develop - September 1st, 2017
- Hard Rock teams up with game studio to make mobile puzzle-match game - VentureBeat - August 31st, 2017
- Sanrio's Hello Kitty & Friends has become a puzzle game? - Develop - August 30th, 2017
- Gram Games' puzzle masters unleash Merge Town | GamesBeat ... - VentureBeat - August 30th, 2017
- Absurd Puzzle Adventure Game Maize Coming to PS4 and Xbox One in September - DualShockers - August 30th, 2017
- Cyan partners with Legendary Pictures to add backstory to Obduction - VentureBeat - August 29th, 2017
- This New Version of Solitaire Is Being Released on Floppy Disks - Motherboard - August 29th, 2017
- Google Play Indie Games Festival unveils 20 finalists - VentureBeat - August 29th, 2017
- What Makes a Great Tutorial? - IGN - August 28th, 2017
- Gamescom 2017: Hands on with Transference, a decidedly unsettling VR puzzle game - Critical Hit - August 28th, 2017
- Acclaimed VR Puzzle Game 'FORM' Now Available for Oculus Rift - Road to VR - August 26th, 2017
- The Witness and Obduction Creators Come Together to Talk Game Design - PlayStation LifeStyle - August 26th, 2017
- Panda Pop passes 100 million users as Jam City readies for an IPO - TechCrunch - August 25th, 2017
- Get to know: Rocketship Park, Ontario-based makers of the addictive new puzzle game Block Droppin' - Financial Post - August 25th, 2017
- Nintendo Switch Eshop Adds Three New Games Today - GameSpot - August 25th, 2017
- Hands-On: Xing The Land Beyond Is An Atmospheric VR Puzzle Game About The Afterlife - UploadVR - August 23rd, 2017
- Can YOU name these classic computer games? Use the photo clues to name all 22 favourites - The Sun - August 22nd, 2017
- ChromaGun Review Color Me Happy - DualShockers - August 22nd, 2017
- 5 new restaurants and retailers coming to The Greene - Dayton Daily News - August 21st, 2017
- Video Game News Recap - GeekDad (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Tiny Bubbles Coming Soon - DVS Gaming (registration) (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Game Day: Pigeon Wings - MacStories - August 19th, 2017
- Video game review: If you're ready for a puzzle, then 'The Room 3' delivers - The Register-Guard - August 18th, 2017
- Maze Walk VR Review - Gearbrain (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Evergrow for iPhone proves matching-based puzzle games are actually super exciting - Macworld - August 18th, 2017
- This stick-figure Western is one of the funniest games in ages - A.V. Club - August 18th, 2017
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy review for good and bad, it's not Nathan Drake - VentureBeat - August 17th, 2017
- Tri-town libraries announce upcoming programs - Wicked Local Marion - August 17th, 2017