People who played action video games that involve first-person shooters, such as Call of Duty and Medal of Honor, experienced shrinkage in a brain region called the hippocampus, according to a study published Tuesday in Molecular Psychiatry. That part of the brain is associated with spatial navigation, stress regulation and memory. Playing Super Mario games, in which the noble plumber strives to rescue a princess, had the opposite effect on the hippocampus, causing growth in it.
Scientists have done dozens of studies looking to see if playing video games affects people’s health and behavior. There’s some evidence they may improve people’s visual short-term memory and eye-hand coordination. But researchers keep looking for negative consequences, too.
These researchers first asked 33 participants how often they had played video games in the past year. They scanned people’s brains using MRIs, and found that the action video game players, who reported spending an average of 19 hours playing action video games each week, had less gray matter in the hippocampus than non-video game players. The difference was statistically significant.
Then the researchers asked 43 other people who don’t usually play video games to spend 90 hours over about 10 weeks playing either action video games or Super Mario games in a controlled setting.
People in the group that played action video games lost gray matter in the hippocampus, according to Gregory West, the study’s lead author and an associate professor of psychology at the University of Montreal. And people who played Super Mario games gained gray matter in the hippocampus.
“While we train up this one system, this other system is potentially being neglected and potentially showing signs of atrophy,” West says.
Simone Kuhn, a professor of neural plasticity at the University Clinic Hamburg-Eppendorf in Germany, says people who play action video games shouldn’t be too concerned.
“I would never interpret this finding as a big warning against action video games,” she says. Why did action video games seem to shrink the hippocampus, while a different type of game seem to have caused it to grow? West and his colleagues have some ideas.
The way that each type of video game is designed could play a role, West says.
“In the majority of action video games, there’s an onscreen GPS overlaid on the screen,” West says. “There’s also wayfinding markers overlaid over the environment, and we know from past studies that when people are encouraged to navigate using these cues, really, they’re not using their hippocampal memory system to navigate.”
Instead, they’re using the caudate nucleus, which is part of the brain’s reward system.
“It’s kind of like your brain’s autopilot, you could think of it that way,” West says.
“It could be the case that these action video games are encouraging people to favor this reward system over their hippocampal memory system. And then it’s become the use-it-or-lose-it type scenario.”
He hopes future research can determine if there’s a relationship between the changes he and his colleagues observed and the number of hours a person spends each week playing video games, as well as the extent of the increase or decrease in size of the hippocampus.
And for the 1 in 10 Americans who consider themselves gamers, West has some advice about which games to choose.
“If I had to recommend a type of video game to someone, it would be a 3-D platform or logic puzzle game. The evidence is clear at this point that these games can be beneficial for the brain,” West says.
- Free puzzle games for kids - play online - March 16th, 2019
- Play FREE Online Puzzle Games at FreeKI Games - March 16th, 2019
- Home | Labyrinth Games & Puzzles - February 1st, 2019
- Amazon.com: Puzzles: Toys & Games: Jigsaw Puzzles, Brain ... - January 29th, 2019
- The Impossible Quiz - Free Online Puzzle Games from ... - January 8th, 2019
- Free Puzzle Games - Download Word Puzzle, Jigsaw Puzzle ... - December 20th, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Free Online Puzzle Games - Page 5 - November 27th, 2018
- Free Online Jigsaw Puzzles & Games | Play for Free - November 27th, 2018
- Chess Puzzle of the Day - Can You Solve It? - October 12th, 2018
- Free Puzzle Games - Play Games For Free - September 30th, 2018
- Play Free Puzzle Games Online - 4J.Com - September 29th, 2018
- Free Jigsaw Puzzles - Jigsaw Puzzle Games at ... - September 29th, 2018
- Empty Room Escape - Free Online Puzzle Games from AddictingGames - August 21st, 2018
- Puzzle Games | Disney LOL - August 21st, 2018
- Play Crossword | Puzzles USA Today - August 21st, 2018
- Simply Jigsaw - Free online games at Gamesgames.com - August 2nd, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Games at Royalgames.com - July 28th, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Free Download - GameTop - July 14th, 2018
- Puzzle Games - Free Online Puzzle Games - July 3rd, 2018
- Play Free Puzzles Games - Super Games - October 4th, 2017
- 'Wayout' Is the Next Colorful Minimalistic Puzzle Title From Dropout Games, and Is in Need of Beta Testers - Touch Arcade - September 7th, 2017
- Nintendo Switch Adds Six New Games Today - GameSpot - September 7th, 2017
- Settling in and exploring new avenues: Gram Games on moving from a small studio to a mid-size company - Pocket Gamer.Biz - September 7th, 2017
- 'Octopuz' Is a Memory Puzzle Game Made by a 13-Year-Old - Touch Arcade - September 6th, 2017
- The Guides Axiom Review: Bewilderingly Delightful - Gamezebo - September 6th, 2017
- Death Squared Review Drop In, Drop Out - DualShockers - September 6th, 2017
- 'Fed up with fantasies for male teenagers': fixing the depiction of women in games - The Guardian - September 6th, 2017
- Gamers Offered a Treasure Trove of Classic, Puzzle, and Strategy Free Games: MyRealGames Announces Latest ... - Canada NewsWire (press release) - September 6th, 2017
- Join The Knight Watch, a frenetic puzzle game for iPhone... and Apple Watch ! - Develop - September 6th, 2017
- CAPCOM announces Puzzle Fighter, a new puzzle game with ... - Android Community - September 6th, 2017
- Last Day of June Is Beautiful, Touching And Emotionally Draining - Kotaku - September 5th, 2017
- Knack 2 review - Polygon - September 5th, 2017
- Go head-to-head in Capcom's new free 'Puzzle Fighter' mobile game - Digital Trends - September 5th, 2017
- Steam's rules about adult content continue to baffle - PC Gamer - September 5th, 2017
- 'Tiny Bubbles' Is a Puzzle Game That's Way More in Depth Than We Were Expecting at PAX - Touch Arcade - September 3rd, 2017
- Review: The Bridge - Nintendo Life - September 3rd, 2017
- Pax West 2017 The Gardens Between - DVS Gaming (registration) (blog) - September 2nd, 2017
- Capcom is finally releasing a new Puzzle Fighter game, and it's coming to Android later this year - Android Police - September 1st, 2017
- Can you solve it? Riddles inspired by card tricks - The Guardian - September 1st, 2017
- Challenge to end stalemate over $1 million maths puzzle - The Courier - September 1st, 2017
- 'Simple' chess puzzle holds key to $1m prize - Phys.Org - September 1st, 2017
- The Puzzles of Marcel Duchamp - Foyles - September 1st, 2017
- Did you solve it? Riddles inspired by card tricks - The Guardian - September 1st, 2017
- Capcom's 'Puzzle Fighter' Brings the Classic Game to Mobile - Touch Arcade - September 1st, 2017
- David Darling's Kwalee launches addictive puzzle game TENS! - Develop - September 1st, 2017
- Hard Rock teams up with game studio to make mobile puzzle-match game - VentureBeat - August 31st, 2017
- Sanrio's Hello Kitty & Friends has become a puzzle game? - Develop - August 30th, 2017
- Gram Games' puzzle masters unleash Merge Town | GamesBeat ... - VentureBeat - August 30th, 2017
- Absurd Puzzle Adventure Game Maize Coming to PS4 and Xbox One in September - DualShockers - August 30th, 2017
- Cyan partners with Legendary Pictures to add backstory to Obduction - VentureBeat - August 29th, 2017
- This New Version of Solitaire Is Being Released on Floppy Disks - Motherboard - August 29th, 2017
- Google Play Indie Games Festival unveils 20 finalists - VentureBeat - August 29th, 2017
- What Makes a Great Tutorial? - IGN - August 28th, 2017
- Gamescom 2017: Hands on with Transference, a decidedly unsettling VR puzzle game - Critical Hit - August 28th, 2017
- Acclaimed VR Puzzle Game 'FORM' Now Available for Oculus Rift - Road to VR - August 26th, 2017
- The Witness and Obduction Creators Come Together to Talk Game Design - PlayStation LifeStyle - August 26th, 2017
- Panda Pop passes 100 million users as Jam City readies for an IPO - TechCrunch - August 25th, 2017
- Get to know: Rocketship Park, Ontario-based makers of the addictive new puzzle game Block Droppin' - Financial Post - August 25th, 2017
- Nintendo Switch Eshop Adds Three New Games Today - GameSpot - August 25th, 2017
- Hands-On: Xing The Land Beyond Is An Atmospheric VR Puzzle Game About The Afterlife - UploadVR - August 23rd, 2017
- Can YOU name these classic computer games? Use the photo clues to name all 22 favourites - The Sun - August 22nd, 2017
- ChromaGun Review Color Me Happy - DualShockers - August 22nd, 2017
- 5 new restaurants and retailers coming to The Greene - Dayton Daily News - August 21st, 2017
- Video Game News Recap - GeekDad (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Tiny Bubbles Coming Soon - DVS Gaming (registration) (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Game Day: Pigeon Wings - MacStories - August 19th, 2017
- Video game review: If you're ready for a puzzle, then 'The Room 3' delivers - The Register-Guard - August 18th, 2017
- Maze Walk VR Review - Gearbrain (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Evergrow for iPhone proves matching-based puzzle games are actually super exciting - Macworld - August 18th, 2017
- This stick-figure Western is one of the funniest games in ages - A.V. Club - August 18th, 2017
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy review for good and bad, it's not Nathan Drake - VentureBeat - August 17th, 2017
- Tri-town libraries announce upcoming programs - Wicked Local Marion - August 17th, 2017
- 'Cityglitch' Review - Defeat Glitches and Save Cities in This Challenging Puzzler - Touch Arcade - August 17th, 2017
- Game review: 'Black the Fall,' escape the iron fist - Reading Eagle - August 17th, 2017
- The 'Dungeon Raid' Eulogy - The Best 32-Bit Games That Will Die With iOS 11 - Touch Arcade - August 16th, 2017
- 'Follow.trail' Review - Find Your Trail to Victory and Fun - Touch Arcade - August 15th, 2017
- Ironcast Review Nintendo Switch Meets Steampunk - DualShockers - August 15th, 2017
- The Initiate (PC) REVIEW Honey, Where's Home? - Cultured Vultures - August 13th, 2017
- Watch and win as we livestream Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign tonight on Mixer [Ended] - Windows Central - August 13th, 2017
- 'noded' Review - An Attractive Minimalist Puzzler That's Sometimes Tough to Figure Out - Touch Arcade - August 11th, 2017